Video Notes: 5 Tips to writing a great historical.
I love writing historical novels. I love diving into the research of the era. I do crazy things like get dressed in the right attire, and listen to music from the area. It’s so important to get it right.
I wanted to quickly give you 5 tips on writing a great historical. It’s all about knowing your Era! That means Research baby!
- Get books and articles written in the era to understand the lingo, the culture concerns, the political issues. You need to get your head in the mind of your character by diving into that era.
- Rent movies and read books set in this era! You can’t always rely on other people’s research, but you can get ideas to confirm later on.
- Read biographies about people set in this time. It’s another great way to get in the head of your character.
- Visit – either in person or virtually the area you are setting the story so you can understand the world of your character.
- Listen to the music of the time. It’s a great way to really get into your character.