- The consumers want the most relevant information to show up first.
- The Search Engine developers want that, but they also want to be the go-to search engine for the most consumers.
- The website owners want their sites to come up first…no matter what.
There were so many websites using black-hat SEO techniques (cheating) that consumers were getting fed up. Essentially Google cleaned house, penalized those sites that employed these techniques and tried to restore more accurate website rankings.
- Write from your passion. Passion is obvious in good writing. Don’t follow the trends, follow your heart when you’re finding a focus for your blog or website.
- Generate good, valuable content. This means correct grammar, as well as tightly focused relevant articles.
- Come up with targeted titles. Don’t throw out the keywords completely. But use them to reflect the actual message of your post. Not sure how to use keywords correctly? Here’s a post I wrote on Using KeywordsEffectively.
- Format your site and your content with the READER in mind. This means an easy-to-read font, block formatting, and short—targeted—articles.
- Keep a regular schedule. This is so critically important. Everyone who creates a blog wants his readers to return. But how can we expect that, when we’re never home. Meaning, we post sporadically and without apparent rhyme or reason. All that does is frustrate our readers and prove we’re not trustworthy. There is WAY too much competition for us to be lazy.