Welcome to October's publishing industry news roundup. There's lots of news with some fun tidbits included this month. Also check out the Q&A about the new imprint, BLING!, at the end of the post.
- Isn't this interesting? Print books outsold e-books in the first half of the year. For more info . . .
- Children’s and YA fiction publisher, Egmont, is selling their US division. For more info . . .
- Author’s Guild met with Department of Justice “invite governmental scrutiny of Amazon’s outsize market share and anticompetitive practices.” For more info . . .
- Hundreds of authors unite to protest Amazon’s e-book tactics. For more info . . .
- Amazon was also the buzz at the New England Booksellers Association annual. For more info . . .
- The value of indies affirmed by the New England Independent Booksellers Association Fall Conference. For more info . . .
- Apparently not everyone’s fighting with the Big A. Amazon and the Perseus Books Group have completed negotiations over new e-book terms. For more info . . .
- JukePop launches Kickstarter campaign to get indie books into libraries. For more info . . .
- American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) announces winners of the Carol Awards for the best Christian fiction and winners of their Genesis contest for unpublished Christian fiction writers.
- HarperCollins authors may earn a higher royalty if readers buy direct. For more info . . .
- Amazon to launch crowdsourcing platform to KDP authors. For more info . . .
- Harlequin enters exclusive deal with Scribd. For more info . . .
- Literary agent Sandra Bishop joins the Transatlantic Agency. For more info . . .
- Brent Taylor joins Triada US Literary Agency. For more info . . .
- Toby Mundy, starts his own literary agency, TMA Limited. For more info . . .
- Patricia Nelson joins Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. For more info . . .
- Here’s a surprising statistic. The majority of young people (ages 16-24) prefer print books over other formats. For more info . . .
- Christian self-publisher Xulon Press partners with Salem Communications to launch new Liberty Hill Publishing. For more info . . .
- Universal Pictures signs agreement with Penguin Random House to bring more of its books to movie screens. For more info . . .
- Book sales fell 1.6% in May. For more info . . . And in July. For more info. . .
- Barnes & Noble revenue fell in the first quarter, but they cut their net loss. For more info . . .
- New York Times adds two faith-focused best-seller lists. For more info . . .
- The National Book Foundation has revealed the finalists for the 2014 National Book Award forFiction.
- Start your holiday shopping! HarperCollins and HarperCollins Christian Publishing will offer express shipping for indie bookstores from November 3rd through January 16th. For more info . . .
- Yay for Canadian authors. The country’s biggest fiction prize, the Scotiabank Giller Prize, has doubled. For more info . . .
- Editorial promotions announced at Bethany House Publishers. For more info . . .
- To provide more security for digital content, HarperCollins adds digital watermarks to its e-books. For more info . . .
- Check this out—17 grants for writers.
- And look at these 20 writing residencies.
- E-book publisher Vook acquires Byliner. For more info . . .
- Indies First/Small Business Saturday be held over Thanksgiving weekend. For more info . . .
- Ingram and Microgroove working together to “provide digital tools to give businesses with mobile e-commerce applications the ability to sell physical books.” For more info . . .
- Good news for indie bookstores—their sales are UP! For more info . . .
- YA and novel series publisher Full Fathom Five announced the creation of Full Fathom Five Digital, an online publishing division. For more info . . .
- Veteran crime novelists launch new crime publisher, Brash Books. For more info . . .
- Barnes & Noble tests consumer interest in the Espresso Book Machine in three stores. For more info . . .
As promised last month, here's the Q&A with Sandie Bricker, Managing Editor of the new romance imprint for Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas:
Have a great month! Do the work. Be productive.