I have a book releasing next Tuesday.
Last year, I had one releasing this exact same time.
But I was in a bad way, dealing with a physical issue, and coming off of a deadline in which I turned in my first ever no-ending book.
Don't worry. I wrote the ending. That's why How To Catch A Prince is hitting the shelves!
But last year I could barely think, let alone figure how to do some promo stuff, so this year? I'm Johnny on it!
I rolled up my sleeves and started a street team!
Yeah I did!
A good friend in my local RWA chapter gave me some good advice on starting a street team—okay, she practically walked me through step-by-step—and I launched my first team.
I thought I'd pass along my wee bit of knowledge.
- Create a an application via Google docs! Those things are cool. You can add boxes for text, check boxes, etc. When your fans submit the form, Google docs inserts the information into a spreadsheet! (Can you tell I'm wowed by this?)
- What to ask? I asked for name and country, where they acquired books to read, their social media platforms and what books of mine they'd read. I also asked why they wanted to be on the team. I left the application process open for five days.
- Create a Facebook Group. After I selected members for the street team -- 25 to 50 is a good start -- I added them to a private Facebook group.
- Ideas! I asked them if they had any ideas on how to promote the book. The reason they are on the team is to help so let them help. They'll have good ideas.
- People who read a good majority of my books.
- Multiple social media platforms.
- Experience or connections with retail or libraries.
- Book club associations.
- General enthusiasm.
- I sent them all graphics a friend made up to represent the book, as well as my picture and a PDF in case they'd not read the book yet.
- I sent the link to the pre order form.
- I asked them to post the graphics on the FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc sites during release week to build the buzz.
- Post reviews wherever possible.
- Pin to Pinterest.
- There's more to come... ;)
Rachel lives in sunny central Florida.
Her novel, Once Upon A Prince, was a 2014 Christy Award Finalist.
Her third Royal Wedding book, How To Catch A Prince, releases in Feb 24, 2015.