Evaluating successes and challenges in 2015 for our writing careers means
taking an honest look at how we progressed. Reaching goals doesn’t happen overnight and never happens without thought and prayer. We all experienced victories and moments of defeat: moments when we laughed and times when we cried; days when we love our calling and nights when we wanted to quit. What’s important to each one of us is the learning process.
The following are 10 ways I am excited about my writing career in 2016. Perhaps you can find yourself grabbing a pen and paper to create your own list.
- Research one writer conference that turns my craft challenges into strengths. Register and attend!
- Write a more compelling story with incredible characters who live on
- Open my eyes to sales numbers. No matter what they are, they can grow. What can I do differently to ensure the numbers rise?
- Teach serious writers at a conference where I haven’t taught before.
- Evaluate my methods of marketing and promotion. Am I reaching current readers and drawing more into my fold? Am I adhering to my budget? Do I need to add or delete from my list of where I currently advertise?
- Provide interesting, worthwhile, and humorous information to my blog while remaining transparent.
- Create book proposals that stretch me as a writer and a lover of story.
- Delete the word “mediocre” and “midlist” from my personal dictionary.
- Speak to an audience that forces me to delve deep into myself in a way that helps others.
- Thank God for every victory and every challenge as a blessing. God doesn’t waste anything. Our paths have a purpose.
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She combines unforgettable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels.
Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. Library Journal presented her with a Best Books 2014: Genre Fiction award in the Christian Fiction category for Firewall.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers; a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association; International Thriller Writers, and the Faith, Hope, and Love chapter of Romance Writers of America. She is co-director of The Author Roadmap with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on any of the social media platforms listed at www.diannmills.com.