By DiAnn Mills @DiAnnMills
Tweet this: The Cold Hard/Ugly Truth about Novel Writing
Writers are survivors. If in doubt, take a look at what it takes to reach publication. It’s a little scary, but if you have courage, take a look at what’s needed.
Writing Ain’t Easy.
If every person on the planet was destined to be a writer, then everyone would be churning out one bestseller after another. How boring! How average!
So what do we writers need to survive the front lines?
- Training. Every writer has a learning curve, time to explore the craft and apply technique to a manuscript. *The training never ends.
- Thirst. How badly does a writer want to create worthwhile nonfiction or fiction projects? *Our thirst or passion for writing must be forefront or we fail.
- Time. For those who claim they don’t have time to write, perhaps they don’t have the guts to carve out extra minutes and hours to pursue their goals. A writer’s time is spent in training, writing, re-writing, branding through marketing and promotion, and social media. *We all have time. It’s our choice on how we use it.
- Touchy comments. Family and friends often don’t understand our dream of reaching others through the written word. We have a message, and our habits and commitments can meet ridicule and teasing. *Ignore the naysayers. No one needs them.
- Turndown. Until our writing meets a publisher’s guidelines, we writers will face rejection. To reach our goals, we may sometimes need to take additional workshops and classes, hire a professional editor, or do a complete rewrite. *A turndown today can mean a contract tomorrow.
- Trust. The Bible says that if God is for us, who can be against us? Trust in the One who purposed you to write. *Believe in yourself and the God who gave you the gift.
What obstacles have you had to overcome as you strive toward your publication goals?
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect
an adventure. She combines unforgettable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels.
Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. Library Journal presented her with a Best Books 2014: Genre Fiction award in the Christian Fiction category for Firewall.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. She is co-director of The Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference and The Author Roadmap with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on any of the social media platforms listed at www.diannmills.com.